“Content is the present and future of successful marketing”
As a digital agency, we understand the importance of content marketing, especially within the digital sector. Content marketing provides relevant information that those using the web are searching for.
In today’s digital world, people are overwhelmed with the bulk and amount of advertisements presented on a daily basis - ‘On average, a person is exposed to around 3,000 marketing messages per day’. As a result of this, it is more difficult for businesses to get their content to ‘stand out’ among the other content that is cluttered over the internet.
Content marketing can be defined as a strategic marketing approach that focuses on creating and distributing valuable, consistent and relevant content to try and ‘push’ potential buyers into actually taking action.
The key objective of content marketing is to make someone Stop... Read... Think... and Behave differently.
How you can develop your content marketing
There is a list of techniques that can be used to develop a more effective content marketing strategy including:
1. Know who your audience are - What drives interest and excitement and what are they going to gain from the content? Ensure you are only targeting customers and not fans.
2. Keep an eye on your competitors’ activity
3. Use adaptive content to deliver a personalised experience - It is wrong to assume that all customers have the same needs
4. Send out consistent messages - Keep the tone of your content consistent and relevant
5. Quality over Quantity - Try and keep your content to a reasonable length (think back to the purpose of what you are writing) and minimise the risk of people losing interest and becoming bored.
6. Build a community around your content - It is important that businesses ask for feedback from their existing or past clients/customers. Testimonials can be used and uploaded to a business website to create a reputable environment.
7. Always include call to actions to try and encourage behaviour
8. Write engaging titles and headings - You need to immediately grab a potential site visitor’s attention and make them want to read on…
What is a blog used for?
A blog can be seen as a form of logging evolving content such as regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, and sometimes can include graphics or videos to make a blog more visually appealing and stimulating. A blog is usually maintained by an individual or on behalf of a business defining the importance of a consistent business ‘tone’ as it is likely the blog is upheld by more than one person.
For example, it is important that this blog and a previous blog on 'the importance of content marketing' are both written in a consistent tone as they are based around the same topic 'content marketing'.
The purpose of any content strategy should be to build engagement and conversion. The higher the engagement, the higher the level of interaction between the content and individual.
As a digital agency, we monitor engagement for our clients. The lower the bounce rate is, the more effective the website is as this means that people are finding what they are looking for. The time an individual spends on a site and the pages viewed per visit varies between each site. We work towards improving our clients’ websites and digital marketing… you can use the figures below as a guideline to maintain a good level of engagement.
1. Bounce rates: Working towards keeping these as low as possible
2. Average time spent on a site: 2 minutes’ plus (varies per site)
3. Pages viewed per visit: 4 pages plus (varies per site)